Drug crimes are one of the most common types of criminal offenses in New Orleans, and the veteran New Orleans criminal defense attorneys at J.C. Lawrence and Associates have years of experience in defending drug charges.
If you or a loved one has been accused of a drug crime, the stakes can be high. A criminal conviction could result in large fines and jail time. It also can result in a permanent criminal record that can hinder your chance for employment, a professional license and even participation in certain volunteer and community functions. Because of the potential penalties and the damage caused by a criminal record, you need to vigorously defend any drug charges. The New Orleans criminal defense attorneys at J.C. Lawrence and Associates provide knowledgeable advice and legal support to help obtain the best outcome for your drug charges.
New Orleans Criminal Defense Attorneys Assist with all Drug Charges
State and federal law defines a variety of different substances as controlled substances. If you are found to possess any of these substances without a lawful reason, you can be charged with a criminal drug offense. This includes possession of prescription drugs without a valid prescription.
The seriousness of the drug crime charges depend on the type and amount of controlled substance in your possession, and what drug-related activities you have engaged in, such as use, transport, manufacture or sale of the drugs. In some cases, merely possessing large amounts of an illegal substance will cause law enforcement to charge you with intent to sell drugs. In such cases, you can face more serious charges, regardless of whether you were actually selling drugs. Due to the seriousness and potential implications of drug charges, it is important to contact a New Orleans criminal defense attorney in every drug crimes case.
Types of Drug Crimes
Examples of the types of drug crimes charges that a New Orleans criminal defense lawyer can help you defend include:
- Possession of drug paraphernalia, such as pipes, roach clips or other tools used to do illegal drugs.
- Simple possession. This charge means you have small quantities of drugs on your person or under your control. The amount of drugs that may result in a simple possession charge varies depending on the type of substance.
- Possession with intent to distribute, meaning selling drugs or the intent to sell drugs. Law enforcement may infer an intent to distribute from the possession of large quantities of drugs or from other evidence indicating intent to sell such as possessing a scale and drugs, or having the drugs bagged for sale.
- Drug trafficking which refers to moving large quantities of drugs, especially across state lines. Drug trafficking can also be inferred from the amount of drugs you possess and is a very serious charge.
- Importing/exporting drugs. This drug crime may escalate to the level of a federal offense.
Many other drug charges are also possible, depending on the circumstances, and it is essential to consult with qualified New Orleans criminal defense lawyers to help you to defend against these charges.
How a New Orleans Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Help Defend Drug Crimes
New Orleans criminal defense lawyers may assist you in a number of ways if you face drug crimes charges. Depending on the situation, they may argue that the evidence of your possession or intent to sell drugs is insufficient or that the drugs were not under your control. Your attorney may also raise defenses including entrapment or unconstitutional searches.
The New Orleans criminal defense attorneys at J.C. Lawrence and Associates have successfully defended many clients facing drug charges. To learn more about how our New Orleans criminal defense lawyers can help you enter into a plea bargain, avoid conviction using first-time offender diversion programs or defend you at trial, give us a call today.